Thursday, April 3, 2008

The Curious Case of Dmitry Golubov - Security Fix

The Curious Case of Dmitry Golubov - Security Fix: "The Curious Case of Dmitry Golubov

Earlier this month, Security Fix took a look at Dmitry Ivanovich Golubov, a Ukrainian politician once considered by U.S. law enforcement to be a top cybercrime boss.

Golubov took rather strong exception to the way he was characterized in that post, denying involvement in any type of cybercrime activity. The problem, Golubov claimed, is that the FBI confused him with someone else."

According to Golubov, he was the victim of identity theft. Someone gained access to his passport, scanned it and posted it online along with a note confessing his involvement in a multinational credit card theft ring. According to Golubov, the note read:

"I Dmitry Golubov, leading hacker, I hack banks, but I have nothing to fear because the police with me at the same time, and in order for you to believe me that I am not afraid I show you my passport, as well as my home address and home phone."

"I am not mentally sick; if I indeed engaged in such activities, you think I will write about this on the Internet?" Golubov wrote in an e-mail exchange with Security Fix.

It just so happened that a short time after I wrote about Golobuv's political activities, I heard from one of the FBI agents who worked on his case back in 2005. The agent traveled to Ukraine to visit Golubov while he was in prison there awaiting trial.



Read more...

Brian Krebs on Computer Security. The Washington Post Company.

No comments: